Tokyo Ghoul (東京喰種-トーキョーグール- ) is a manga by Sui Ishida, serialized in seinen, “Shueisha Young Jump” magazine, with weekly delivery since September 2011.
The manga has been collected in 14 volumes (tankōbon) as of June 2014. An anime series adaptation by Studio Pierrot began airing on Tokyo MX on July 3, 2014. Funimation has licensed the anime series for streaming video and home with distribution in America.
On October 10, 2014, it was officially announced that Tokyo Ghoul will have a second season for January 2015. After the official Japanese website announced it and removed within hours.
Today we tell you some facts you probably didn’t know about Tokyo Ghoul.
Top 28 Curiosities About Tokyo Ghoul
- Kaneki has a habit of touching his chin with his left hand whenever he lies or feels uncomfortable; in the manga it is said that he inherited it from his late mother.
- The habit of thundering his fingers was left as an aftermath of his torture in the last episode of the first season.
- For some reason the author of Tokyo ghoul remains anonymous, only his pseudonym “Ishida” is known. Mysterious…
- Yamori ,banjuo and nishiki say that Kaneki smells the same as rize, but yet tsukiyama says that Kaneki still smells human.
- Ishida revealed that Tsukiyama was meant to be the protagonist of a totally different series, but ended up being a tokyo ghoul character.
- Hide’s voice actor, sought to be cast for the voice of Kaneki however he was turned down and ended up as the beloved Hide. A nice consolation prize in my opinion.
- Yamori’s nickname (jason); refers to Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th, he also wears a jockey mask and lives in District 13.
- When Sui Ishida was asked about Kaneki’s fighting suit, he said that Tsukiyama made it for him. Tsukiyama, you are a god.
- Tsukiyama is bisexual.
- Human investigator Koutarou Amon is the 11th most popular character in the series according to a fan poll. His last name, Amon, is the name of an Egyptian god meaning “god of all gods”; I admit I like it.
- In the first episode of Tokyo Ghoul, Kaneki was reading a book called “The Black Goat’s Egg”, it told the story of a woman who was a willing killer and how her son hated what she did, however gradually the boy developed a fascination for doing it. This is a reference to Rise (Adopting the role of mother) and Kaneki (As the son).
- Tokyo Ghoul was based on a novel called Metamorphosis written in 1915 by Franz Kafka.
- The manga’s illustrator, Ishida has never been in the public eye and has never posted a photo on social media. He is a complete unknown, and even his gender is questionable. It is only because of an oversight in his publications that he is believed to be male. He claims to have read every chapter of Dragon ball and Bleach.
- The Antaiku Cafe is inspired by a real cafe near where the author lives.
- In the manga, there are 23 neighborhoods, while in the anime there are 24.
- Touka was to take Rise’s place until the character was implemented.
- The surname Kaneki refers to author Osamu Dazai, who was born in Kanagi and is best known for his novel Hito Denani.
- December 20 is the same birthday for Kaneki and Takamasa Arima. Kaneki was tortured on his own birthday.
- The only family members Kaneki knows are his uncle and cousin.
- Sen takatsuki is a fictional author from the world of tokyo ghoul, for whom Kaneki feels a deep admiration. although she does not appear in the anime, she does in the manga, as a young girl in her 20s with a clueless personality.
- Throughout the Aogiri arc, when the organization kidnaps Kaneki; constant references are made to the number 12. In the Tarot, the card number 12 represents The Hanged Man. Seriously this chapter was full of emotions.
- Rize is the adopted daughter of matasaka kamishiro.
- When Hanae Natsuki and Toyonaga Toshiyuki auditioned for the character of Kaneki; they had to send a sample and perform performances full of pain, suffering, screaming, etc. that were 3 minutes long.
- During these rehearsals; Natsuki was constantly interrupted by calls and had to repeat the scene three times, while Toyonaga recorded it at home and who; in order not to arouse the suspicions of the neighbors with his heart-rending screams; decided to record his sample while the cicadas were playing in the background to throw them off a bit.
- Both Mado, yamori, suzuya, and Arima originally had black hair. It seems the series abhors black hair.
- Ayato and touka’s father was named Arata Kirishima who is the same “Arata Corpse Collector”.
- In the one shot, Touka seems to have a personality similar to Rize’s Who would win between these two?
- In his Semi-Kakuja state, Kaneki, in his moment of madness, said “Watashi? Ore? Boku?”, three forms of the personal pronoun “I” in Japanese; “Watashi” was the form used by Rize, “Ore” by Yamori, and “Boku” by Kaneki himself. Which makes us draw crazy conclusions that the poor guy is now bipolar.
I hope you liked this list. If you have something to comment or a curious fact to contribute, feel free to leave it in the comments.