One Piece (Wan Pīsu) is a Manga and Anime by author Eiichirō Oda. The series tells the story of a young boy named Monkey D. Luffy, who inspired by his pirate friend Shanks, begins a journey to achieve his dream, to become the King of pirates, for which he must find the One Piece treasure left by the previous pirate king Gol D. Roger.
The manga has been published in Shūeisha’s Shōnen Jump magazine since 1997 and has been published a total of 60 volumes. On the other hand, the anime is produced by Toei Animation and has been broadcast on Fuji TV since August 1999 with 527 episodes to date.
Larp editores is in charge of its publication in Argentina, Planeta DeAgostini is in charge of publishing the manga in Spain and in Mexico it was published by Editorial Toukan. And possibly there will be a new reprint in Grupo Editorial Vid.
One Piece is the best-selling manga in the history of Shōnen Jump magazine, with more than 158 million copies sold.
In the survey conducted by the Japanese Culture Agency on the 50 best anime and manga in Japan, One Piece was ranked 11th. In the 2005 ranking published by TV Asahi on the 100 best anime of all time, based on an online survey in Japan, One Piece reached 6th place. Eiichiro Oda is heavily influenced by the Dragon Ball manga.
One Piece is a pirate adventure. It is the story of a boy named Monkey D. Luffy (Luffy Monkey D. in English, given the Japanese onomastics of putting the surname before the first name) who, when he was 7 years old, accidentally ate a Devil Fruit, turning him into a rubber man though at the price of making him unable to swim.
Luffy, inspired by the pirate Shanks “Akagami”, sets out to sea ten years later to become the King of Pirates. To do so, he would need to find a suitable crew, ten people who would accompany him on his adventure.
This honorary title would be born with the legend of the pirate Gol D. Roger, known along with his crew as the only ones capable of the feat of completely crossing the Grand Line 22 years before the beginning of Luffy’s voyage.
Roger would be executed by the World Government, but before dying, he mentions the existence of his great treasure, the One Piece, bequeathing it to whoever finds it first.
His death starts the Great Age of Pirates, launching countless pirates towards the Grand Line (among them, Luffy) in search of the lost treasure with the belief that the one who gets it would deserve to be proclaimed as the King among all pirates.
On his journey, Monkey D. Luffy will defeat a great number of adversaries. He will also meet other characters, some of whom will join him as members of his crew, while others will help him for a while, becoming valuable friends.
Today we’ll tell you everything you need to know about this legendary anime, so read on until the end.
Best Facts About One Piece That Every Fan Should Know
- Devil fruits give power to both heroes and villains, when the person who ate the fruit dies, it reappears so that someone else can eat it. Let’s say the devil in it, he will look for another fruit to transform it and wait for someone else to eat from it.
- Yes! Each devil fruit contains a demon that possesses the soul of whoever eats the fruit, in return it gives them powers. At the beginning of the manga, Shanks mentions that they are the incarnations of the kings of the seas.
- In One Piece only three types of devil fruit occur “naturally” and one occurs artificially.
- Paramecia type fruit provides powers to change the environment, substance production or physical manipulation. An example is the Goma-Goma fruit.
- The Logia type fruit gives powers to create, control and transform the body into a natural element. It is one of the rarest and strongest.
- The Zoan type fruit makes people have an animal transformation, they can stay in their human form, have a hybrid form or the one that is totally bestial.
- Smile, is a type of artificial devil fruit and they were created by the SAD substance, with this one you get abilities from the original fruits.
- One of the most powerful devil fruits in One Piece is the Yami Yami no Mi, as it allows you to absorb your enemies into black holes or shadows, but you can also snatch the power of your devil fruit from another person.
- Another of the most dangerous fruits in One Piece is Soru Soru no Mi, with it you manipulate the soul of every living thing around. Or the Hobi Hobi fruit that turns people into toys.
- Devil fruits although they provide powers, they taste very ugly and there is nothing you can do to alter their taste.
- It is not necessary to eat a whole devil fruit to acquire its power, just one bite is enough.
- Each fruit is unique and therefore, no two people could have the same ability.
- Whoever has eaten a devil fruit will never be able to swim again. The essence of the sea causes them to lose 100% of their strength and fresh water 50%. For this to happen, the water must come up to their knees, so rain does not affect them.
- In 2002, One Piece won the Tokyo Anime Award, a contest for novice anime creators that curiously began in 2002.
- The Sea Stone nullifies the powers of devil fruits, as it has the same energy as the sea.
- The Sea Stone is also used to hide or go unnoticed by sea monsters or “Kings of the Sea”.
- Haki is also a weakness of devil fruits, it is the only way to touch those who have eaten fruits of the Logia type.
- Haki is a power possessed by all creatures in the world, it is the ability to use spiritual energy to dominate any enemy.
- Shanks is the first character to use Haki to save Luffy as a child at sea.
- Zoro doesn’t like that Sanji treats men and women differently, he thinks that gender shouldn’t be a factor in deciding how to treat a person. This is because his friend Kuina taught him gender equity when they were children.
- The American version from 2004 to 2006 removed all the blood and changed the weapons to be non-lethal.
- According to Eiichiro Oda (creator of the series) Usopp is the character that keeps the balance, no one weaker than him can join the crew.
- All of Luffy’s moves have a particular name.
- Sanji’s character was originally going to be named Naruto.
- Akira Toriyama prefers the One Piece series to Naruto as the successor series to his work.
- The execution of the pirate king “Gold Roger” is based on the death of Olivier Levasseur, a French pirate known as “La Buse”.
- Eichiro Oda was always interested in Blackbeard’s story.
- The characters never die, so that the viewers never know if they will appear again in the saga.
- After finishing One Piece, its creator wants to make a robot manga.
- The anime has 20 seasons and more than 900 episodes, it is the best-selling Japanese manga in history
- Sometimes, it takes the manga creator almost three days to come up with the perfect name for the manga he wants to write. But once he has found it, he can finish drawing the manga in a single day. It seems that what the artist needs is a good name to build his story around.
- As One Piece fans know, Usopp has his back to Luffy’s “WANTED” poster. But what they may not know is that he also appears on Zoro’s poster. In this case, only his nose is visible.
- Right now it would be totally strange to imagine Sanji with another name. But the truth is that this character was going to be called Naruto. What was the problem? That the anime Naruto was ahead of them, and not to coincide with him they changed his name to Sanji.
- The character Enel is inspired by none other than the famous rapper Eminem. Oda is a big fan of the American rapper’s work.
- One Piece started as two One-Shot comics. This means that they were going to be two round stories with an ending, in which Luffy appears and certain points that later the series would develop more calmly. Both were published in 1996.
I hope you liked these curiosities and I am more than sure there is more than one you didn’t know about. Needless to say, you can share your knowledge in the comments!
For more info visit Fandom.