Game of Thrones is an HBO series based on George R. R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy novels. The show premiered on April 17, 2011, and it has been adapted by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss for television.
The series follows several noble families fighting for control of the Iron Throne, as well as other nobles eager to claim it for themselves.
The story starts with a dynastic struggle between three competing claimants: Eddard Stark, Catelyn Stark’s father; King Robert Baratheon; and Jon Arryn, Ned’s mentor who ruled as Hand of the King until his sudden death.
The Starks’ pursuit of power leads them into conflict with their rivals, House Lannister, whose members are also contending for control over Westeros. Meanwhile, Daenerys Targaryen attempts to raise an army in Essos in order to reclaim her throne from her brother Viserys Targaryen.
In Essos, an exiled prince named Jon Snow joins a group called the Night’s Watch that protects the realm from wildlings (or “free folk”) who live north of The Wall (a massive wall of ice).
Today we will tell you the most fascinating facts and curiosities of one of the most successful series of all time.
1. The idea of the guardians of the wall or the night watch originates from the Knights Templar, who also had to take vows to join such a group.
2. The figure of the king’s hand is based on the tradition of the kingdoms of Spain, where the king was dedicated to loitering and visiting brothels while someone else organized the kingdom for him.
3. The sons of iron have the Vikings as a referent, as their religion is also based on stealing, killing, raiding and such.
4. In the Battle of Blackwater, the Valyrian fire appears. G. R. R. Martin was inspired by the use of Greek fire, when the Byzantines fought against the Arabs.
5. In each chapter the header of the series is different, as the kingdoms that are going to appear in the episode appear.
6. Oona Chaplin (Talisa) is the daughter of Geraldine Chaplin and the granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin.
7. Alfie Evan (Theon Greyjoy) is Lily Allen’s little brother. She once made him this song.
8. The heart Khalessi eats in one scene is actually a 3kg jelly bean.
9. Mark Addy (Robert Baratheon) is the chubby guy from Full Monty.
10. The Targaryens are inspired by the Stuarts of England, specifically Charles Edward, who continually sought new allies to seize the throne of England, which he believed belonged to him.
11. In 2012 more than 150 babies were named Khaleesi.
12. Jason Momoa (Khal Drogo) was inspired by the Indians Geronimo Cochise, Genghis Khan and Hitler to play a scene in which he delivers a speech in Dothraki.
13. Sean Bean (Ned Stark) and Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister) dressed as women in a movie.
14. Lena Headley (Cersei Lannister) and Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister) were friends before filming the series. In fact, he proposed her for the role of Cersei.
15. Peter Dinklage is a vegetarian, and every time he appears on screen eating “meat”, it’s really tofo.
16. To make the iron throne that appears in the series, Gavin Jones used wood and melted several swords, and it took him more than two months!
17. The premiere of the series coincided with Sean Bean’s birthday. What a gift!
18. Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) adopted the dog that played her giant wolf in the series. His name is Zunni.
19. The Red Wedding is based on the “Black Supper”, in which the King of Scotland offered Earl of Douglas a feast to make peace with the Black Douglas clan, and served him a black boar’s head, symbol of death.
20. The creator of Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin, came up with the plot of all the books when as a child he watched the turtles he had as pets slowly dying.
21 . The show’s writers and executive producers, Dan Weiss and David Benioff, have been friends for more than 17 years.
22. George R.R. Martin agreed to work with them after asking them a question about Game of Thrones, if they got the answer right, he would participate in the project. The question was: Who is Jon Snow’s real mother?
23. Once they started working together, the writer told the producers all the plot lines and what happened with each of the characters in case he died before he could finish the books.
24. George R.R. Martin’s wife, knowing her husband, sent an email to Dan and David telling them not to fuck it up by adapting the books to TV.
25. Harry Lloyd (Viserys Targaryen) is a direct descendant of the famous English novelist Charles Dickens.
26. Emilia Clarke was not the first choice to play Daenerys Targaryen in the series.
27. Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) adopted her wolf Dama in real life after he disappeared from the series.
28. The actress took in Zunni, the Northern Inuit who played one of the Starks’ wolves after the series’ first season ended.
29. The series has been filmed in many countries: Croatia, Ireland, Scotland (UK), Morocco, Malta, Iceland, California (USA), Spain…
30. A season of Game of Thrones needs approximately 3,000 costumes/dresses.
31. George R.R. Martin always gives his opinion on each and every episode broadcast.
32. Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams and Isaac Hempstead-Wright (Sansa, Arya and Bran Stark, respectively) decided to do their own version of the show’s intro in a fun rap/beatbox attempt.
GOT is one of the longest running and most popular TV series in the industry, and no wonder, since with 8 seasons, it has managed to enchant an entire generation of viewers. If you know any facts or curiosities, feel free to leave them in the comments below.