The Mandalorian is the latest Star Wars show to hit the airwaves, and we’re here to tell you: it’s worth watching.
The series is set in the era between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens and follows a bounty hunter named Mandalorian (played by Pedro Pascal). The show follows his adventures as he tries to make a living while dealing with galactic politics and other dangers.
The show was created by Jon Favreau (who directed Iron Man), Dave Filoni (who worked on Star Wars: The Clone Wars), and Lucasfilm veterans Karen Gilchrist and Rick Hoberg.
It also features an incredible cast including Gina Carano, Carl Weathers, Giancarlo Esposito, Emily Swallow, Nick Nolte, Werner Herzog, Taika Waititi, Jeremy Bulloch, Omid Abtahi, Werner Herzog… and many more!
If you like The Mandalorian, and especially if you are in love with Baby Yoda, read these ten curious facts about The Mandalorian that you might not know.
The Mandalorian Curiosities
1. Officially, The Mandalorian takes place after Episode VI: “Return of the Jedi”, five years after the fall of the Empire. And long before the New Trilogy that begins with Episode VII: “The Force Awakens”.
Before the emergence of the First Order, this time span is called the “New Republic” era. So now you know when Mandalorian happens.
2. The Mandalorian tries to move away from the main plot of the whole Star Wars saga. In that galaxy far, far away, everything revolves around the Skywalker family. However, the series offers a new plot, characters, and places.
3. The series is set in the Outer Rim Territories (also called “Outer Rim” or “Outer System”). It is the frontier of the galaxy, home to bounty hunters, smugglers and all kinds of outlaws.
4. The story is about the adventures of Mando, a lone gunman and bounty hunter who, as we have already seen, travels in the territories of the outer rim, on the border of the galaxy, far from the jurisdiction of the New Republic.
5. The main character is played by Pedro Pascal, a renowned film and television actor born in Chile.
However, the actor has stunt doubles who do his action scenes, while the Chilean actor lends the voice of The Mandalorian. Brendan Wayne is a good gunman who has worn the costume of The Mandalorian in all eight episodes and the second season.
There is another stunt double who performs action scenes: Lateef Crowder, who is a very disciplined actor as Pascal acknowledges.
6. This series is inspired by the Western genre, a film genre set in the old American West. This is somewhat noticeable in the pace that the episodes of the series have, they are not too frenetic or too slow.
It is also transmitted through the landscapes in the photography, and to top it off, the main character is a Gunslinger.
7. Lucasfilm and Disney made use of Stagecraft in the filming of ‘The Mandalorian’. It is a screen that surrounds almost the entire set to project scenery. Disney bet on this very expensive technology, but in the long run it will be profitable. The purpose was that this series has the same audiovisual quality of the cinema, and it was very well achieved.
8. What is Stagecraft technology? This innovative technology has revolutionized the way of recording film. It consists of an LED screen around the set, and works as a green screen in real time, creating a virtual stage. In scenes that require structures, only part of the structures, objects or ships are physically used, while the rest is generated on the screen.
With this technology, it is not necessary to travel to real locations to film or create large elaborate scenarios, because the screen projects photorealistic landscapes.
7. Baby Yoda: The Child, or better known as Baby Yoda, became a fan favorite character in a short time. This character is mainly a puppet and CGI is hardly used; when special effects are needed, they try to make him obey the same physical laws as if he were a puppet.
Two technicians are needed to use Baby Yoda during a scene. One person controls the eyes and mouth, while the other controls other facial expressions, such as the movement of his ears. The main Baby Yoda puppet costs $5 million.
The name of this character is not Baby Yoda, he is officially known as “The Kid”. However, everyone prefers to call him by the first name, because he reminds them of Master Yoda, one of the most renowned and powerful Jedi throughout the history of the Galaxy.
8. How old is Baby Yoda? The little guy is 50 years old, so he was born around 41 B.Y.Y. (before the Battle of Yavin in Episode 4).
The boy is growing very slowly, but he already possesses great power in the Force, which is sure to increase as he gets older. Mando takes pity on this little boy, becoming his protector.
8. What is the Beskar? Mandalorian warriors are legendary, and so is their armor. The Mandalorian armor is made of Beskar iron (also called “Mandalorian iron”), one of the few materials strong enough to resist laser beams and lightsaber strikes.
Their bracelets are filled with gadgets and have weapons designed to fight the Jedi. In addition, Mandalorian bounty hunters often wear jetpacks.
9. Who are the Mandalorians? This is a brief summary: The Mandalore Sector, also known as Mandalorian Space, is part of the Outer Rim Territories of the galaxy and includes over a thousand worlds separate from the Galactic Republic. The planet Mandalore is now an inhospitable place.
The Mandalorian people are a warrior culture divided into clans, which are often at war.
Their constant conflict ruined the surface of their planet. Known throughout the galaxy as professional killers, the Mandalorians wear a striking and expensive Beskar armor forged with the seal of their clan.
Not much is known about the history of Mandalore, but it seems that that world and its people were almost completely destroyed by the Empire in a genocidal manner, and the survivors were scattered throughout the Outer Rim.
Without a doubt, this series has been a complete success for Disney. It is also a good story that further expands the Star Wars universe.